The history of the museum had begun in 1913, when botanist and geographer Ippolit Mikhailovich Krasheninnikov (pictured) took the initiative of creating a natural history Museum. 5 Sep 1913 in Saratov real school gathered enthusiastic twenty-two persons, among whom was a teacher and inspector of real school J. L. Bormann, teacher of the Seminary Dmitry V. Moshkov and the mayor Vasily Semein. Those gathered decided to organize in Chelyabinsk museum of natural history (thematic orientation of the museum resulted in a natural-scientific interests of the organizers) and the local branch of the Ural society of lovers of natural science. For the exhibition, it was decided to use the premises of the school, where started the collection materials, books for the library.
1-st of July , 1918, the society members opened in the high street (now the street of Tsvillinga), in the house of V. M. Krasheninnikova, historic-ethnographic and natural history of museum for inspection and acceptance of collections. In the autumn of 1918 D. V. Moshkov went to Omsk. Instead, the Chairman of the Ural society for the study of the local region was Ivan Gavrilovic Ckorockov (pictured). Later, he led the museum.
In 1982 the museum received a room in the building on Lenin Avenue, 49, where, after repairs, began the construction of the exposition, which is dedicated to the history of the Soviet period (it was folded at the same place in 1979 in connection with the accident). By 1988 opened three halls: "October and the Civil war", "First five-year plan", "The Patriotic war of the Soviet people". However, the exposure has not been established. In the work took part the employees of the museum V. S. Bozhe, N. A. Vaganova, E. Ivanov, T. V. Palagina, I. A. Skorikov, historians from the universities of Chelyabinsk.
In 2008 opened the hall of history of the XX century. The exposition covers the period from the late XI century to the beginning of 1990-ies. Here, the visitors can learn about the most important events in the history of our country and how these events impact on our region. This is the revolution and the Civil war, industrialization and collectivization, the Great Patriotic war, post-war life (ranging from industrial construction and finishing ideological component).
In addition, the new building has the opportunity to hold large-scale exhibitions. Thus, only the first three years of operation of the museum in the new building hosted 105 exhibitions, including "Treasures of the Moscow Kreml" (from the collections of the Kremlin Museum-reserve), "Sergei and Pavel Tretyakov" (from funds of the Tretyakov gallery), "Treasures of the Russian state" (from the collections of the State historical museum).
In recent years, reorganized the structure of the museum, developed the basic documents (articles of Association, a scientific concept, a comprehensive development programme), the transition to Fund accounting system KAMIS. The museum of local lore, who in late 2011 the state, is the methodical center for museums Chelyabinsk region, conducts refresher training of museum workers. In addition, CGCM produces a variety of collections, conducts workshops, scientific conferences. The museum of gold medals at interregional competitions "Museum of the year. Eurasia-2007" (for the project "Children's Museum" and "Museum of the year. Eurasia-2008" (two halls for the permanent exhibition).
Mode of operation: from 10:00 to 19:00.
Offices are opened from 10:00 to 18:00.
Seven days a week.
Dear friends, pay your attention, to the fact that the time and days of work of "State historical Museum of Southern Ural" can change, so before visiting it we recommend you to call +7 (351) 263 – 08 – 32